Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The apppliances



For almost as long as I can remember, I have wanted a red Viking range, and 3 years ago I bought one. That's it right there. It is at Bongo Bongo, and I never use it. You don't really kitchen cook at Bongo Bongo, except very rarely. You grill there.

So I still have an unfulfilled red Viking range lust. And that was all I insisted on in this remodel. A RED VIKING RANGE.

But then, you get the Viking range and you want the Viking kitchen.



Over the years I have also lusted over the Bray & Scarff trucks delivering in this neighborhood, but Google searches really showed bad reviews for customer service. That's what I like. Bad Google reviews of a high-end appliance dealer. It means they probably really are good, and boring, complain-y rich people actually weren't sucked up to. Beings we aren't either, we like them. (Google. You'll see.)


We go to the Bray & Scraff in Arlington, meet with sales guy Bert, and have a thoroughly good experience. Before it's over, we have a red Viking range on order (special order, extra special money), a Viking refrigerator and we even get this floor model Viking dishwasher for an unbelievable $50. It is a $1,400 dishwasher.

Jeff: "Bert, I want to buy local but I can buy all of this online for less. Throw in this dishwasher."

Bert: "Ya, right. But I'll ask my manager."

Bert: (A day later.) "He says we have to show something on the books. How about $50?"

Jeff: "Unplug it."

The red Viking range is special order and may take anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks. No problem. The red Viking range at Bongo Bongo took 6 1/2 months to get there. I'm good with this.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog, but really wish it was on facebook for everyone to enjoy & weigh in on your selection. "We're all there cuz we're not all there". Keep it light guys.
    ~ Gretchen

    ReplyDelete