Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Steak Frites



A new restaurant a brisk walk away just opened called Medium Rare, which serves nothing but Steak Frites (and salad and dessert).

It sounds like a crazy business plan, but I am about to use this restaurant as the launching point of a hunt to find the best Steak Frites in my neighborhood (I have five places on my list) and thought I would start by setting the bar really low in my own kitchen.




Steak Frites, a staple in even the lowliest of French bistros, is just an inexpensive cut of beef with French fries. I'll use crappy Safeway sirloin (and Ore Ida crinkle cut potatoes!)



Smoking hot pan...a bit of butter...



Quick on both sides. The French don't seem to care much for much more than barely rare beef.



There seems to be no rhyme or reason to Steak Frites sauce. Anything goes...from Bearnaise to red wine. I'll do a peppercorn sauce...



Crushed peppercorns...



Steaks out...red wine in...



Then peppercorns and tomato paste...



And some stock....reduced.




Steak Frites. The baseline for my venture is set. Actually, it wasn't bad! And Ore Ida never looked so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment